Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Where are you from?

What may seem like a straightforward question to some, has made me hesitate dozens of times in the last 24 hours.  How do I answer that?  Sure, I'm originally from the Chicago area, but I haven't lived there in over six years.  Whitefish, Montana is the last address I had, but I moved out of there over seven months ago.  Since then the place I've slept the most is in the back of my Blazer, that traversed the west coast over a four-month span.  Then there was a month and half in Guatemala, three weeks in Chicago, and then a month in Denver.  I think that might be too much information for those who are just trying to make small talk with me and the other forty-some odd people I am suddenly living among.
  So, now I find myself in a place where I will most likely spend the next two months.  When I leave here and arrive at the next destination, can I say I'm from the Stanford Sierra Camp and Conference Center on Fallen Leaf Lake, outside of South Lake Tahoe, California?
  That is where I am now.  I arrived early yesterday afternoon to my spectacular new home and place of employment.  I thrive on living in beautiful places and I am fairly certain this place will deliver.  This compound is located on the south side of a good-sized lake serving as the foreground view of the Sierra Crest with the Desolation Wilderness in the backyard.  The north side of Fallen Leaf Lake is just miles from the south shores of Lake Tahoe.  A five-mile, single-lane road is the only way in and out of this little piece of paradise.
  Being the first day of orientation it is hard to gage how the overall work and living situation will be, but in a short two-month span, I can't imagine much that could detract from the awesomeness of the place.  I live in a very cute, very cozy, decent-sized cabin.  The food is good and plenty and is stuff I'll eat.  Outdoor activities are limitless.  And there are potentially many new friends.
  Today I had to write down my "hometown" so that it could be printed on my name tag.  Under pressure, I wrote down Bartlett, Illinois.  I guess, that will work.  After all, that is where the story starts.  And when someone who asks really wants to know, I'll give them the whole story...from Bartlett, Illinois to Stanford Sierra Camp and Conference Center on Fallen Leaf Lake outside of South Lake Tahoe, California.

No comments: