Monday, June 8, 2020

Exploiting Emotions

Two weeks ago, in the wake of the supposed virus plaguing our country, I started writing an article attempting to address my concern that our compassion may make many of us vulnerable to ideological ploys.  Given we are in an election year and we were already in the trenches of information warfare, I was hoping to warn my close friends and family, the only people I share most of my writing with (if it even makes it out of my journal) to be ready for the next assault on our heartstrings.  I didn’t even finish the article, before the next bomb was dropped.     

Now the lines have been drawn.  Or have they?  While many want to see this as two-sided, my observations produce different results.  While it is very easy for me to see how all those who jump on the Black Lives Matter bandwagon, got there, I’m not so sure about the other “side”.  I'm unable to find anyone who does not think that black lives matter.  It seems to be a consensus that all lives matter and that the police officer who set this all off, should be held accountable.  Where the debate lies is how/why this issue is relevant now.  

The injustice that transpired isn’t new.  Nor is the exploitation of it.  If you were born yesterday, I will pardon your ignorance of the injustices in our country/world.  Otherwise I am baffled.  How are you still falling for this stuff?

Am I suggesting we just accept injustice?  Of course not.  If you are so moved, do something about it.  But be careful.  While I’ll avoid the systematic racism debate, the situation of black people is being used for political gain.  Lumping a whole race of people together is stereotyping.  The Black Lives Matter movement, is being used for politics, not justice.  Do you think it is a coincidence that the last surge of interest in the movement was in 2016, just prior to the previous presidential election?   

This is a reoccurring theme.  The very people trying to call out injustice, inadvertently become the ones grouping people by the color of their skin (or gender, or sexual preference…) and not on the content of their character.  Its tricky.  When blinded by righteousness, its hard to avoid hypocrisy.  An easy trap in the identity politics world.

Why am I saying all this?  I’m just asking that everyone be a little less easy. First the whole stay home/mask thing and now the immediate and unquestioning obedience to support this political ploy. Frightening.  Please don’t let your emotions be exploited by those who care nothing for the causes you feel so strongly about.  Not only will you fall short of helping others, but you risk doing the exact thing, you claim to be fighting against.  

Be vigilant.  The onslaught on your emotions will only intensify until November.  They want us divided.  We are all in this together.  

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Rebecca. I a am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and teh blog post. I am also blessed and feel privleged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in exploring and adventure. It was interesting to go through your blog post on "Exploiting Emotions". Though I am from India but yet I do agree with you without any doubt. In India issues are different but exploiting emotions is more for the political parties advantage. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one anothers. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of umbai a ity with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We rewach out to the poorest of poor with the love of christ to bring heaing to the brokenearted. we also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure you will have alife changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends. Also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered reset of the year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede